Getting Ready for Salmon Fishing of Your Dream
Whether you are a novice or you have already caught dozen tons of fish, salmon fishing is always a great pastime for those who like challenges, nature and adventures. Angling is not only miraculous because of the possible big game, but also because of the other factors and rituals fishermen can experience. Simply imagine that you wind up your alarm clock and get up early smelling the freshness of the day, your rods are prepared in advance and warm sunbeams of the rising sun cover the tackles. The romance of the fishing trip continues when you go outdoors and enjoy the silent beauty of the pristine nature and magnificent sceneries around you. This calm, tranquil atmosphere can suddenly change when the salmon will start to pull the fishing line (salmon species are known as excellent fighters) and you will winningly bring home a big game.
Salmon sport fishing is a popular activity all over the world. Fortunately, this fish can be found in many places of the globe (both in salty and freshwater): some sites are the fishermen’s Meccas, while the others are known to several anglers only. In this article we are going to dwell upon salmon angling as a great relaxation pastime which will not only bring you a great mood but also something delicious to your dinner.
There exist more than sixty species falling under the Salmonidae fish family (these include both salmon and trout). All of them have common traits as well as vivid individual differences. All of the Salmonidae have a torpedo-shaped body covered in tiny scales, they inhabit cold water and their delicious meat is pink to red color. Their meat is appreciated not only by humans, but also by seabirds, larger fish and mammals. The largest species is the Chinook salmon (also called a King salmon). Its body is 5 feet long (approximately 1.5 meters). The smallest one is the Sema (Masu) salmon, which length reaches 28 inches (0.71m).
Salmon hatch in freshwater. Afterwards they migrate to salty water bodies. They return to freshwater to spawn and die. Although there is a misconception that adult salmon go back directly to the same spot they were hatched from to spawn there, this legend hasn’t been proven scientifically.
Salmon have a great gastronomical value in many countries, like Canada, Japan or Scandinavian states. The national dishes of these countries are based on a delicious oily pink meat which is very tasty being also beneficial for health (it contains Omega-3). The meat fetched from salmon is very versatile as it can be baked, boiled, fried, planked, canned etc.
Salmon Fishing Techniques
In order to learn how to fish for salmon successfully, one needs to take into account different factors which are vital for a big game angling, like season, right rod, bait and other kinds of tackles selection. It’s also important to realize that salmon are brilliant fighters which will not give up quickly. When considering a fishing trip we would recommend you to take into account the following factors:
- The water body. Touristic ads may claim that the local rivers are full with salmon and trout, yet this does not mean the fish reside there all the time. Choose the reliable sources or go to the places known around the world for big game salmon sport fishing. As a rule, salmon species can be found in rivers with considerably deep pools and fast moving waters with rocky bottom.
- The season. It is important to stick to the angling calendar when planning a fishing trip. The high time to catch salmon is a mid-spring (starting from April) until late July. At this time salmon species swim up-river and remain there, afterwards they swim back to sea. Fishing for salmon after fall is rare. When choosing a place get acquainted with local laws regulating fishing.
- Salmon fishing equipment. Selecting correct bait and rod is a keystone of any fishing adventure. According to various factors anglers may change their gears and lures very often.
- The bait. Choosing the bait is linked to the fact that the salmons are carnivores, thus it must resemble or actually be a piece of meat. Both techniques are good working, it is only up to an angler to decide which one to use on a particular day. Experienced anglers recommend to attach colorful moving rigs to the bait, as well as silver, blue, green or pearl flashers to attract salmon.
- The rod. Fishing rods used for salmons are designed to handle long and intense fights. They usually have a strong solid butt section so that the angler would be able to turn the fish. This part of the rod does not bend and is very durable. Salmon rods differ from others in their length. These are usually from 7 to 8 feet long. Depending on the techniques you apply, you can choose from trolling, plugging, spinning and fly rods.
- The hooks. One of the most important salmon fishing tips is keeping the hooks as sharp as possible. This may sound obvious, yet still many anglers ignore this recommendation.
For those who are unfamiliar with angling and is going to fish for the first time, below we are going to describe how to fish for salmon from riverbanks:
- Wear hip waders to get to the most beneficial spot on the river.
- Take the needed equipment with you in order not to go run back and forth for right hooks and baits.
- Use large weights if you fish for meat, not for sport.
- In cloudy waters use special flashy lures of bright colors.
If you are sure you have a right rod, enough baits and courage, you may start booking flight tickets to one of the most popular salmon spots in the world. You can choose from magnificent sceneries and fertile waters of Alaskan land, or you may go to British Columbia, Canada. In the US you may visit Washington State, Oregon or California. Don’t hesitate to explore the severe Scandinavian or miraculous Japanese waters. Scotland, Estonia and Latvia are also known as great fishermen havens.